Monday, December 12, 2011

What are the definitons of Independent, dependent variables, variable, and control?

Definitions of:


Independent Variable-


Dependent Variable-


Control-


Variable-


Thanks :)|||An independent variable is one which you control. The dependent variable is the effect. For example, I increase the temperature in the room from 70 degrees to 80 degrees by turning the thermostat up. The temperature is the independent variable, because I control it.





I have a cup of ice. I put it in the room with the temperature set at 80 degrees. The dependent variable is the speed at which the ice melts. This is the dependent variable.





The control is used for comparison. For example, I have 2 identical cups of ice. The cups are the same size, the amount of water in the cup is the same when I put them in the freezer. I take 1 cup of ice and put it in a room where the temperature is 70 degrees. This is the control. I take the other cup into an identical room which is at 70 degrees, and I turn the thermostat up to 80 degrees. The second room is changed. It is the experimental room. The first room is the control. the thermostat stays at 70 degrees.





A variable is what you're changing. In this example, it is the temperature.|||ROFLMUFFINZZZ|||there's a fun thing called dictionary.com..

No comments:

Post a Comment